Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Introduction:

I have been fascinated by economics and psychology. I learned about the hierarchy of needs at the beginning of the year, for this reason, I've decided to write an article about Maslow's theory, which is about our needs and necessities.


Maslow's hierarchy of needs:

Let me start off by saying that his theory fills an incredibly important part in both economics and in psychology, so I would like to held significance for this. Abraham Maslow was a very influential researcher in his era. He accomplished ground-breaking surveys, which are astonishing.

According to his study, published in an academic journal, he identified needs as a pyramid, which was named after him. Based on his study, this triangle could be divided into 5 sections:

1. Physiological needs: This includes those needs which we wouldn't be able to live without, such as air, food, drink, shelter, clothing, warmth, sex, sleep. Without these necessities, our body wouldn't be able to function properly, as these are biological requirements for human. For instance, sex must be satisfied otherwise, we endangered. For this reason, reproduction is essential to the survival of all mammals.

2. Safety needs: Once we have met our physiological needs, then we should take into consideration our safety needs. This is meant that people want predictability in their lives, and they'd like to able to control it. These need can be met by your family and those people who you are surrounded by. As for financial stability, you want to know a roof over your head, as it gives you safety, as a consequence your basic needs include a property / a safe place where you can live.

3. Love and belongingness needs: this involves your friendships and even your relationships. Everybody needs friends, as humans are socialized living beings and we need to develop friendships with our environment. That's why participating in a game has such a good feeling, since you feel that you are part of a community.

4. Esteem needs: all people need, dignity, achievement, mastery, independence. These are undoubtedly essential. Some people desire respect and reputation, not to mention prestige and status, as well.

5. Self-actualization needs: I think it's the same as self-fulfilment. This is the highest level of Maslow's hierarchy. We need to make our dreams come true, so we want to accomplish our plans.




My personal experience:


I'm utterly desperate by the fact I can't meet my needs concerning love and belongingness and esteem needs. Last year I was struggling to make friends because my class used to make fun of me, which I was very disappointed about. Neither my belongingness need nor my esteem needs were fulfilled. According to my economics teacher, those children who are exposed to bullying may have an Inferiority Complex, which means that they suffer from a lack of self-confidence. They may consider that they are inferior to their environment. Well, I'm still having this problem, except for the fact that I used to be bullied. Fortunately, I have an amazing form master, who feels empathy towards his environment.

Recommended video:


Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

Euroexam Writing Test 1 - C1

Speech on Education

Verb + ing Forms and Infinitives C1