The History of Homosexuality and Same-sex Marriges

The history of homosexuality:

Homosexuality is a vitally important topic from which most people shy away from but it used to be different centuries ago. In ancient Greece, for example, having sexual intercourse was not frowned upon as an odd desire. Having sex with the same gender was not a big deal, as it was considered to be normal and acceptable. The same applied to lesbians, who were attracted by the same sex. The famous poet, Sappho, who lived on the island of Lesbos, addressed his poems to those women, whom she had found attractive. Similarly, with the Romans, they were allowed to fulfil their sexual arousal. However, as the influence of Christianity grew, laws and restrictions were introduced against homosexuality. Engagement between the same gender including men and women appeared to be prohibited and forbidden.



In Medieval Europe, attitudes towards homosexuality varied. It was claimed that having practising homosexuality should be punished by capital punishment / death. The vast majority of people declared that castration should have been meted out for mankind having sex with the same gender. Some people, who were convicted with the suspicion of homosexuality, might have faced being burned at the skate.

Same-sex marriages nowadays:

Same-sex marriage has been a hotly debated issue lately. There is an argument going on between the proponents and the deep-rooted people about whether homosexuality should be introduced as normal. There are two religions, namely Catholicism and Islam, opposing equal marriage, as gay marriage is not procreative. Lots of activists say that gay people oughtn't to suffer discrimination owing to their sexual arousal.

Laws allowing same-sex marriage have been now introduced in dozens of countries. Having been granted permission to held gay marriages has contributed to them being able to live life to the fullest. According to the news, more and more governments enables gay couples to get engaged and have the same rights just as we heterosexuals do. It appears to me that homosexuality has become fully accepted, by the huge support of influential politicians.



Experiencing homosexuality in a friendship:

I have been to a camp organized for autistic children. It's a government found camp that is free of charge. The point of this camp was to make friendships and to interact with your fellow campmates. I have managed to develop 3 friendships, which I am really happy with. I met a homosexual guy who is autistic at the same time.

I'd like to highlight one friend of mine. Having developed such a special friendship with Tomi, meant that I could deepen our bond. We get closer and he was thinking about coming out. It's pretty hard to make sure that your friend won't frown upon it. He had been planning how to tell me the fact that he's gay. It's a taboo and an intimate topic and utterly risky at the same time, since you may lose your best friend, due to him / her being homophobic.

I was the first person he could come out into the open that he's gay. He openly said that he's not pleased to be attracted by the same gender. He must have been worrying about my reaction. I believe that my reaction was positive because I didn't make any bad comments about him being homosexual. I was so glad he trusted me by telling me his biggest secret. I got to tell you that I was honoured to have him as my friend.

I have helped him by regaining his confidence because he was really anxious due to his parents being homophobic. He told me that he is still afraid of coming out to his parents. What I could do is that I have been sympathetic to him. When others asked him about what he loves about girls, he got in trouble by having nothing to talk about. He simply answered that he likes normal girls, which his friends were confused about. I have helped him by telling him things that he can mention in a similar situation, instead of normal and nice girls.


Up-to-date video about the new law in Hungary:




Peter Szijjártó's interview to CNN: (English video)




A blog szövege docx és pdf formátumban innen letölthető:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgGDb8F-_bVzuy9_TgTFlKY2FYii?e=oNgVVL


Források:

Szóbeli feladatok felsőfokú nyelvvizsgára (Akadémiai Kiadó)

Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

Euroexam Writing Test 1 - C1

Speech on Education

Verb + ing Forms and Infinitives C1