Verb + ing Forms and Infinitives C1

Introduction:

There are lots of unanswered questions concerning verb complementation including infinitives and gerund. Therefore, I have decided to answer these questions and dispel all of these doubts by writing a blog about this topic. 

Let me start off by saying, that this blog won't include those basic grammar structures which are needed for the B2 exam.  Thus, I will only be writing about the learning material that is required for the so-called advanced level.

Honestly, I have fallen in love with these grammatical structures, for this reason, I will be using them on the C1 exam, to impress the examiners. I want to get good points.

Grammar:

Some verbs can be either followed by an [object + ing] or a [possessive + ing] with a similar meaning. 

Example:

  • I resented Tom winning the prize. OR
  • I resented Tom's winning the prize. (where the possessive noun ends with an ['s])
OR:
  • Mia recalled him buying the book.
  • Mia recalled his buying the book.

Similar verbs: 

  • Detest (utál)
  • (Dis)approve of (Hozzájárul / Elítél)
  • (Dis)like (szeret / nem szeret)
  • Love (imád)
  • Object to (Ellenez / Kifogásol)
  • Forget (elfelejt)
  • imagine (elképzel)
  • remember (emlékezni)
  • Think of (gondol valamire)
BUT: We can only use a possessive form here to talk about a person or a group of people. (animals)
  • I remember the horse winning the race.

Some verbs can be followed by a to + ing:

  • She confessed to stealing the money.
  • Do you object to working late tonight?

These verbs can be followed by to + noun phrase:

  • She confessed to the crime.
  • Do you object to the work?

Similar verbs:

  • Adapt (alkalmazkodni valamihez)
  • Adjust (alkalmazkodni valamihez)
  • Admit (belátni valamit)
  • Look forward (alig vár valamit)
  • Own up (bevall / beismer valamit)
  • Resort (Folyamodni valamihez)

Other verbs can be followed by different prepositions + -ing:

By + ing:

  • Can you begin by cleaning the floors?
  • Please end your presentation by saying your last words.
  • You should open the lesson by introducing yourself.

On + object + ing:

  • Clare insisted on Jack wearing a suit to the party.
  • I'm focusing on my learning Maths.
  • It depends on Kate behaving properly.

Of + ing:

  • Have you ever heard of anyone getting arrested for gossiping before?
  • I am speaking of her doing well in the last test.
  • I only know of him repairing the lamp.

Object + from + ing:

  • The noise prevented me from sleeping.
  • The new laws have discouraged you committing a crime.
  • He kept him from knowing about the truth.
Some verbs can be followed by an object and then either by an -ing form or bare infinitive, but the meanings may be slightly different.

Examples:

  • I saw them playing football. (the action is in progress)
  • I saw him smash the bottle. (Bare infinitive; completed action)
After the verbs dare (merészelni) and help (segíteni) we can use either a bare infinitive or to-infinitive:

Examples:

  • I didn't dare (to) say anything.
  • I hope I helped (to) revise for the test.
When dare has an object we can only use a to-infinitive:
  • I dared him to cross the river
  • I helped them (to) pack.
After have, let and make (Causative verbs) we can only use an object + bare infinitive
  • I have her work harder for the test.
  • I had, my son, Levi do the washing up, later I let him out to play.

Sorry, but I didn't find good videos. These are for B2: 😢😢😢



Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

Euroexam Writing Test 1 - C1

Speech on Education