Tics Explained

Introduction:

In today's blog, I'm due to write about TS  that is the short form of Tourette's syndrome. It is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects the brain. I wrote this article to raise awareness of tics and to share my experience and my feelings. Let's go in-depth and find out more about what TS is.

I will use the collective noun Tourette's to describe a large group of symptoms. I'm not diagnosed with Tourette's although I still have tics.



Symptoms:

A common symptom of such disorder might be if someone makes involuntary sounds (vocalizations) and movements repetitively. These will later be referred to as tics that the sufferer is not able to control and cannot stop doing, for instance, twitching or excessive blinking. Tics also include unintentionally made loud (sometimes frightening) sounds such as grunting (like pigs), throat cleaning or even swearing. Symptoms usually begin between the age of 5 to 10 years that will probably disappear later in adolescence entirely.




Types of tics:


Motor / physical tics: (Movements of the body)

  • excessive blinking
  • grimacing
  • head or limb twitching
  • jumping
  • shrugging shoulders

Vocal tics / vocalizations: (making sounds)

  • grunting (like pigs)
  • throat cleaning (dry or sore throat)
  • whistling
  • mocking animal sounds
  • shouting
  • swearing (coprolalia - using obscene language)
Tourette's syndrome may be coupled with other disorders or behavioural problems.

For example:

  • Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
  • Depression
  • Anxiety

Here are some instances of such patients:







Premonitory sensations: (Urges to tic)

People with Tourette's always feel a strong urge before a tic. These urges can be compared to the feeling before sneezing or rubbing your skin when it itches. These are very unpleasant feelings that endlessly re-occurs.


Treatments / medication:

There is no cure for Tourette's but treatment and medication is available for instance antipsychotics in the most severe cases. Sufferers are advised to visit a psychologist or psychiatrist for therapy or prescription. Medication often causes unwanted side-effects.



Personal experience:

I have been suffering from tics since 4th grade in primary school. I had excessive blinking and I jerked my legs and arms and I had vocalizations such as throat cleaning. It must be a very frightening experience for a parent to see his child twitch constantly. I have taken such medicine that made me totally unconscious in 4th grade in order to ease my symptoms. It took me 10 minutes to tie my shoelaces in the morning. I could only respond to what I was told very slowly. Later, I have been prescribed another medication that was successful and my tics have been significantly reduced. I'm still tic sometimes in school when I'm anxious but it is almost inconspicuous.


Sources:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tourettes-syndrome/

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/tourette/facts.html



Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

Euroexam Writing Test 1 - C1

Speech on Education

Verb + ing Forms and Infinitives C1